Friday, May 26, 2006

The Moslem Quarter


One afternoon, I set out on my own to walk a bit in the Moslem Quarter. So I walked out of the Jaffa Gate, and followed the Old City walls until I picked up Sultan Suleiman Street and eventually reached the Damascus Gate (pictured above). The gate and El Wad street beyond was jammed with stalls and street sellers, with fruits, produce, spices, grains and household goods for sale. I never felt as if I stood out, but women all wore headscarves and the men wore robes or keffeyas. Many of the women were clearly stylish despite the attire not normally encountered by an Alaskan. After walking around a bit, I went back outside the walls and walked through a commercial district and past a bus station which serves the Palestinian Territories and East Jerusalem.
Atop post: The Damascus Gate; above: inside the Moslem Quarter.

No comments: